5 Things We Know On A Sunday
- When folks tell you who they are and what they’re gonna do, believe them. This goes double for politicians. Don’t wait for spin-masters and talking-heads to clarify, explain and walk-back. Just take them at their word.
- If you want to know when there’s gonna be a lot of laundry and cleaning done around my house, just tell me I’ve got to finish a column for TheRaiderland.com . Amazing how productive I suddenly become…
- Top 3 Decades For Music: No. 3. 1940s. Big Band Sound emerging into post-WWII swing and the earliest forms of rock and roll with schmaltz, blues and more. A really diverse decade of influences. No. 2. 1950s. Not much in rock and country happens in this country without the 50s. Buddy Holly, Hank Sr. A great decade where styles where being refined and created. No. 1. 1970s. You name it, the decade had it. Great rock, the rise of Super Groups, maybe pop music it its best when you look at the Top 40 charts and diversity, Disco creating the anti-disco movement of punk rock…You listen to 1970s music in any style and it stands the test of time. We also got Waylon and Willie and The Outlaws. What more do you want?
- I still miss the Jerry Lewis MDA Labor Day Telethon. Not what it became it the later years, I’m talking about the 1970s, 1980s. For a kid in West Texas, it was a peak into some strange world called Las Vegas where guys wore tuxedos all night and people juggled plates, danced on stilts and raised money for sick kids. Throw up a hand if you went around your neighborhood with a cardboard milk carton collecting money, then had your parents call in your donation so you could see your name on TV!
- I don’t know how it is where you live, but in West Texas I love the fact that folks will still fight to hold the door open for another person. Male or Female, and that’s what we got, it doesn’t matter. I had to wait three minutes the other day to get into a place while two gentlemen had a stand-off over who was gonna hold the door for the other. Best deal is when you gotta go through two doors. First person holds door for the other, guy walks through the door and races to open the next door. This country needs more folks holding open door for each other.