5 Things We Know On A Sunday
- Egg nog is the best of all seasonal drinks. Beats the fire out of anything “pumpkin spiced” and can go toe-to-toe with any summer beverage. Those who don’t embrace the egg and the nog are missing out.
- This is the time of year I really miss Chelsea Street Pub being out at the South Plains Mall. A welcomed oasis in times of holiday, (Christmas) shopping. In fact, it could sometimes be used as an excuse to go holiday(Christmas) shopping. (Fixed it for ya, Tessa! )
- Lincoln Riley used to be from West Texas. . .
- Roosevelt and Abernathy will take their play-off game to Jones Stadium this Friday night. Reminds me of 1983 when Spike Dykes’ Midland Lee Rebels squared off against Odessa Permian and MOJO for the second time that year in a play-off game at Jones Stadium. There were over 40,000 folks out that day. Went with my Dad. It was the largest crowd of the year for a game at Jones Stadium, easily eclipsing what Texas Tech was getting under Jerry Moore that season. I remember realizing at that time that Lee-Permian was not exactly like Monterey-Coronado at the time. It was an education. Hope the Lopes and Eagles have a similar experience Friday.
- I hate it when I get a song stuck in my head and I don’t know all the words. Today’s song is The Eagles “Lyin’ Eyes”. I’ve had to hum along all afternoon the lyrics I can’t recall. Really annoying. Still better than last week when I had WHAM! “Wake Me Up Before You Go-GO” stuck in my head. Sadly, I think I know all the words. I blame Clifton Green and Marc Hendricks for that. There ya go guys, you finally made the Sunday column….